Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day

Dear Dad,

Happy Father's Day. I've been thinking about what I've wanted to write to you for the last fe days. I've probably done it in bits and pieces on a blog here or in my mind as I've spent countless hours in the car. And maybe a huge public forum like my blog (read by 6 people) isn't the place to do it either, but for now, this is the place that it's going to start.

I miss you. I miss the fact that you aren't here to see my grow up. You and mom invested so much of your lives in me. I want you to know that you'd be proud of me. I'm thankful everyday of the sacrifices you made so that I would have the opportunities I have today.

I miss being able to talk to you about things, to have you around to bounce ideas off of. I miss our random lunches where we go to Victory Restaurant for Cornish Hen, or those random bowls of Pho.

I still remember our trips to the park when I was a kid and learning how to ride my bike without training wheels. You'd be there chasing behind me trying to make sure I didn't fall on my ass (even though I did). I remember all of our trips to the LA Zoo and Disneyland. I will never forget all the great food you used to cook. Maybe that's the reason why I love food as much as I do today.

So on the one hand, I'm sad that you aren't here, but on the other hand, I have a huge abundance (I mean huge, you know how much crap I can store in my brain) of memories of you.

So thanks dad. Thanks for everything you've taught me. Thanks for being a great father. Without you, I don't know where I would be today. You'll always be a part of my life.

0 comments: